Date: 15th April 2010 at 5:44pm
Written by:

City CEO Colin Sexstone reckons the high-calibre level of applicants shows what an “extremely attractive proposition” the City job has become.

Sexstone revealed today that the club have received over a 100 serious applications to succeed Gary Johnson as manager, with names like Steve Coppell, Tony Mowbray, George Burley and Alan Curbishley all being linked with a move to BS3.

Speaking to the Bristol Evening Post, Sexstone said: “The Bristol City manager’s job has great appeal these days. You only have to look at the standard of the applicants to realise how far this club has come.

“We are established in the top half of the Championship, we want to be challenging for the play-offs at the very least next season and we are moving ahead with plans to move to a fantastic new stadium.

“The club is well run, is on a sound financial footing and has a growing support base,”
Sexstone continued.

“In short, everything is in place to push for Premier League status. The Bristol City manager’s has become an immensely attractive proposition and is attracting a level of interest we have not seen previously.”

City Chairman Steve Lansdown is believed to have whittled his shortlist down to a selected few, with interviews taking place over the next few days.

An announcement is expected before City’s final home game of the season when Derby come to town a week on Saturday, with Coppell the bookies favourite.

Meanwhile, City youngsters Tristan Plummer, Frankie Artus and Ashley Kington have been told they are to be released at the end of this season.

 

Your Comment