Date: 1st August 2010 at 4:56pm
Written by:

City boss Steve Coppell hopes to complete more signings next back after completing a sensational triple swoop on Friday.

Coppell pulled off deals for Nicky Hunt, Damion Stewart and David James late last week and has said he expects an “avalanche” of business to be concluded next week.

“We obviously needed to recruit after losing a few players because we don’t want to be short going into the new season,” Coppell told Saturday’s Bristol Evening Post.

“To challenge in the Championship, you need to use around 20 players from a squad of around 25 or 26 players.

“Ideally, we would have got these done three or four weeks ago, so the new additions could have settled in. We are still down to the bare bones, even with the new additions.

“I can’t put a number on how many more will come because it has been difficult enough to do the deals we have done. It really has been a massive process.

“I think there will be an avalanche of deals next week. It is very tight financially for a lot of clubs and those fortunate enough to have big squads will start to realise that they can’t afford to carry too many players who aren’t going to be involved.”


The City manager is thought to be after a left-back, a creative central-midfielder, a left-winger and a target man to add balance to the squad before the Robins kick-off the 2010/11 Championship season at home to Millwall next Saturday (3pm).

 

5 Replies to ““More signings to come,” says Coppell”

Your Comment