Date: 6th June 2011 at 11:43am
Written by:

Bristol City manager Keith Millen has revealed his frustration at seeing Billy Jones become the third transfer target to slip through the net this summer.

Millen had been chasing Jones for six months before the ex-Preston defender chose to join West Brom last Thursday.

As revealed exclusively on Vital Bristol City, Jones rejected the terms on offer at Ashton Gate to try his luck in the Premier League, leaving Millen immensely disappointed.

“It’s disappointing because I have been pursuing him [Jones] hard since January,” Millen told the Bristol Evening Post.

“We made an offer back then [in January] and it was turned down and I feared the worst when his agent told me there might be Premier League interest.

“He is the third one we have been after who has gone from the Championship to the Premier League this summer and it shows the calibre of player we are trying to bring in.”


Millen was believed to have been chasing out-of-contract Leeds midfielder Bradley Johnson, who is poised to join Norwich, and Gareth McAuley, who has also signed for West Brom on a free transfer from Ipswich.

Despite the setbacks, the City gaffer remains undeterred in his mission to bring more quality to BS3.

He added: “I will continue to work my way down the list of names, just as I am doing in a number of other positions.”